Outlets & Plugs
• Check for outlets that have loose fitting plugs, which can overheat and lead to fire.
• Never remove the ground pin (third prong) to make a three prong plug fit into a two prong outlet.
• Never force a plug into an outlet if it doesn't fit.
• Avoid overloading outlets with too many appliances.
• Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.
• Make sure that cords aren't frayed or cracked.
• Cords should never be nailed or stapled to the wall, baseboard, or to another object.
• Don't place cords in high traffic areas, under carpets, beneath rugs, or under furniture.
• Check the wattage of all light bulbs in light fixtures to make sure that they are the correct wattage for the size of the fixture.
• Replace bulbs that have higher wattage than recommended.
• Make sure light bulbs are screwed in securely – loose bulbs can overheat.
Circuit Breakers & Fuses
• Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size current rating for their circuit.
• Always replace a fuse with the same size fuse.
• Create a circuit map that clearly identifies all outlets, fixtures and major appliances each circuit serves.
• If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker or if it has given you a shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.
Entertainment ⁄ Computer Equipment
• Check to see that the equipment is in good condition and is working properly.
• Look for cracks or damage to wires, plugs and connectors.
• Use a surge protector bearing the seal of a nationally recognized certification agency.
• Make sure entertainment centers and computer equipment have plenty of space around them for ventilation.
Halogen Floor Lamps
• Halogen lamps operate at much higher temperatures than a standard incandescent bulb.
• Never place a halogen lamp where it could come into contact with draperies, clothing or other combustible materials.
• Turn the lamp off whenever you leave the room for an extended period of time.
• Never use torchiere lamps in children's bedrooms or playrooms.